Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bite of Seattle

It seems like every city has a food festival these days. In Seattle it's called the Bite of Seattle and it was about 3 blocks from my apartment at Seattle Center. There was over priced food and under-priced entertainment.

When I first walked up, I head a great band rocking some classic and modern covers. I thought they sounded pretty good, until I got a closer look and noticed they had a KEY-TAR player! At that point I KNEW they were good... as I chuckled to myself while watching the guy rock out on the key-tar.
Despite it being the last day of the festival, the crowds were still lively. Here's a shot of the main stage area with lovely Queen Anne hill in the background, crowned with 3 radio towers.
I continued exploring Seattle Center only to find the strangest yet most entertaining competitive event I believe that I've ever seen.... dogs long jumping into water. They had a platform, on which the girl is standing, next to a pool of water, into which the black dog is jumping. The dog would start on one end of the platform and take off running toward the trainer on the other end of the platform, who would throw a toy out over the pool of water, as seen just above the dog's head in the picture below. The dog would then jump into the water and retrieve the toy. Whoever's dog jumped the furthest won. Exciting huh? We'll just say you needed to be there.
The splash of the dog landing a 25 foot long jump.
With dog water long jumping under my belt, and enough cover bands to last me a while, I headed home. On my way, I stumbled across a few living copper sculptures. This guy from the crowd joined the show.
All in all, good to see. What's next for the Seattle center summer line up?