Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Break Climbing

I first started climbing in Indianapolis at this gym. It was a nice gym, conveniently located near work, and had a great monthly rate. The walls were basically a smooth wood surface with holds conveniently (or inconveniently placed) up and down. I enjoyed going there very much and spent many afternoons climbing around.

Then I went to a climbing gym in Seattle. It was a whole different level. First off, the gyms are much bigger and MUCH more crowded. In Indianapolis, I could expect to see 10 to 15 other people at they gym. In Seattle, it seemed like hundreds. The Seattle gyms are also much more expensive... but look at them!!!

The walls have a grippy rock feel as the underlying structure has been covered by a textured, cement-like material - as seen by the different colors in the pictures below. There are HUNDREDS of holds. So many, I get a little dizzy looking at them!

While on Spring Break, I joined many of my Seattle friends at the gym one evening after they were done working for the day (and I was done relaxing for the day). It was a fun experience, much more similar to outdoors but not quite there. Enjoy some pictures...

What I like to call the Wall with a Million Grips
This is a picture of about half of the climbing gym... its BIG!
When it rains in Seattle, climbers go indoors. There's a lot of climbers in Seattle and a lot of rain.