Thursday, May 20, 2010

Triathlon

I participated in a pseudo-LGO tradition, the Season Opener for the local summer triathlon series. It's the only triathlon during the school year, thus why it was chosen. However, I should have known better than to make my first triathlon a "season opener".

First off, for those who are not familiar, the triathlon consists of swimming, then running, then biking. This particular race is considered a "spring triathlon" because it is about as short as they get. 400 yard swim, 10 mile bike, 5k run. I have the latter two events rather covered... swimming, not so much. I started the semester strong by getting in the MIT pool at least once if not twice a week. Then Spring Break hit, and I haven't been back in the pool.

Back to the "season opener". The water is expected to be very cold! So we prepared by renting wetsuits. But come race day, that wasn't enough. There were 40mph 45 degree winds sweeping across the moist beach under our barefoot feet. The open water has significant waves and even white caps! The first few "waves" or heats of swimmers headed out, but so many people needed to be rescued, the rescue boat sank from all the bodies. At that point, they called off the swim... thank goodness! I was freezing and not prepared to battle the waves of the open water.

We turned around and ran back to our changing area and I jumped on my bike! I guess my lack of preparation paid off? We'll just say it was so cold on that beach, that my feet did not regain full feeling until the 3rd mile of the run (approximate 45 minutes after departing the beach).

While I'm not a true triathlete (yet!), I think it better this way.

As usual, some pictures.

Me in my wetsuit! I look like scuba steve. I have no idea where the goggles I'm wearing came from, I just found them in my closet in Indianapolis one day.

Christie and I! Note the famous Dr. Pepper pants that I'm wearing! They show up at all of these events.
Iliana after the race!