Sunday, October 24, 2010

Index Climbing

I realize most of my posts have been climbing related recently. I'll try to diversify, but this is the exception. I went traditional climbing over the weekend at Mount Index. Traditional climbing is where there are no bolts pre-drilled into the rocks. Instead, you jam nuts or cams into cracks in the rock to provide the fall protection. I went with very experienced climbers who set up the routes in a safe manner. I would never do this by myself... yet.

Here's Duffy with his rack of cams and nuts. The climber must carry all of this gear because they are different sizes. You never know what size you will need when you get up there.
Here's one of the hardest routes I've ever "climbed". Climbed is in quotes because I definitely cheated to get to the top. I used some of the old bolts in the wall to climb up.
Here's the view from the tallest single route I have ever done. It was estimated to be about 180 ft tall and it was a GREAT climb. Nice holds. Tricky but doable. And really nice grippy rock.
An unexpectedly beautiful fall day in the Seattle area.

See the river below!
Ok... no more climbing pictures.... for now.