Monday, January 3, 2011

On the Road Again, Again!

Dad and I had a late start on the first day. We decided it would be a good idea to change my brake pads, as they were grinding metal on metal (thanks to Chris for lending his tools and driveway space late Sunday Night). We also decided to pick up a set of tire chains in anticipation of snowy mountain passes. I knew if we didn't have chains, we would need them, but if I bought chains, we certainly wouldn't need it. We crossed 7 mountain passes with areas designated for chaining up tires, and as predicted we didn't need the chains.

Though we didn't need the chains, there was plenty of snow. I estimate about 2150 miles of the 2300 miles of land we crossed was snow covered, making for a beautiful drive!

The 11 hours of driving through sand and salt on the first day did quite a number on my Explorer (165,000 miles and counting).
We got an early start on the second day and watched the sun rise on the horizon.
We drove past the last mountains the morning of day two, leaving plenty of flat land ahead!
If you have ever driven I-90 through South Dakota, you have certainly seen signs for Wall Drug. We had to stop!
2300 miles, 37 hours of driving, 3 days, one fun trip!