Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sitting at the Gate

The cornhole transportation adventure continues:

I'm currently sitting at my waiting to depart for Boston. During check-in, the boards were under close scrutiny by the airline agent. The official weigh in put them at 52lbs and 70 inches in total length (length + width + height). Both metrics put the boards in the oversized luggage category which requires a $100 fee. At this point, I was certain the boards were going back my parents house. I had my dad circling outside in case I couldn't check them. But then I realized... I had come this far with the work and effort put in to getting these boards to Boston, I wasn't about to give up.

With a little coaxing, mentioning that I'm a (poor) college student, and some story telling about how Boston doesn't know what cornhole is and how I'm gearing up for football season (there might have been a little exaggeration). The breaking point was when I mentioned that I can check a snowboard for free and that was much bigger than these boards. He said "well that's sporting equipment" to which I replied "so is this!!!". I knew he had a soft spot for the game when he said "your are right, it is sporting equipment". He then muttered "go ahead and throw them up here, just don't tell anyone!"

SUCCESS!!!!

Now I can only hope that they make it in one piece.

Goodbye Indiana... for now! Hello Boston and FOOTBALL!