Thursday, August 27, 2009

Traveling Corn Hole

I'm currently in the process of packing. I take that back, I'm in the process of procrastinating so that I don't pack. Quite frankly, I'm not ready to go back. I'm here in Indiana with friends, family, no homework, and no real work. The weather has been beautiful! 70-80 degrees, sunny and relatively low humidity. It really doesn't get much better. The hardest part of my day is dragging myself out of bed when I know that I really don't HAVE to get up. I'm sure you don't feel sorry for me, but after the intensity of the end of last semester, I think I deserve a little break.

There is one part of packing that was very exciting! I have decided that with football season coming up, I need to take my favorite tailgate game back to the Boston area.... the game of cornhole (or "bags" if you are uppity and refuse recognize the fact that you are trying to throw a bag of corn through a hole in a board). This is a game you can't step foot on a midwest college campus without seeing, and I've only witnessed one game out east. Get ready Boston!

So here's the "exciting" part (remember, I'm a nerd). I'm going to attempt to get a set of boards checked onto my flight tomorrow. My first concern was weight. I checked online and found the weight limit to be 50 lbs and the size limit to be 60inch. The boards are 48 inches tall so I should be good there, but they are solidly built (like any cornhole set should be) with 3/4 inch plywood. I went to fed-ex/kinkos to check the weight because we don't have a scale in our house and found them to weight 48.75 lb., pre modification. I think I'm close enough that it should slide through the checking process.

But before it's ready to fly, some modifications are necessary to make sure the boards survive not only the plane trip, but the subway rides and walks back to my apartment. That's right, I have to hand carry this all the way from the airport to my apartment along with my other luggage, but that's what wheels are for. I added 2 wheels and some handles to pull the boards behind me like a roll-a-board suitcase. To ensure that the playing surface would stay consistent I added plastic corners for protection. My final touch was a handle on the side in case a baggage handler needed an extra grips. The results are as follows:

2 Wheels for quick and easy maneuvering
3 Handles positioned to maximize comfort and flexibility during transport.
Plastic corners to preserve a consistent playing surface from edge to edge.
And one happy football fan ready to drag these boards over 1000 miles to their new home.

Transportation tomorrow will consist of a car ride to the airport, a plane to boston, a bus to the red subway line, the red subway line to central square, with a final walk of just over a quarter of a mile. The only thing stopping me at this point are the US Airway ticket agents and their leniency of the 50 lb. luggage rule.