Wednesday, December 2, 2009

2 Weeks

I believe that December 15th is LGO significant in two ways.

1.) It is the date of my last final of the semester, marking the completion of half of my formal course requirements for the LGO program.

2.) It is also the due date for the LGO Class of 2012 applications.

To me, the first item is much more significant, but to readers, I think the 2nd is more significant. I supposed I can speak to that. Here are my 5 easy steps to the application process. As usual, these are my thoughts and do not reflect in any way the thoughts, feelings, or instructions of the admissions committee.

1.) Relax. While this appears easy, it is typically not easy, but I still highly encourage it. That's why I put it as number 1.

2.) Proofread. Proof read your essays. This is the first impression of your true personality that the admissions committee receives. GPA and test scores do not show personality.

3.) Peer Review. Have other eyes look over your essays, especially people who are not familiar with your chosen examples. They will be able to tell you if you have presented a clear story. Friends, family, co-workers, etc serve this purpose very well. I had the luxury of having a journalism major review my essays. She did a great job!

4.) Recommendations. Give your recommenders time to complete this task. It is important!

5.) Turn it in... early! In that last minute before the submission window closes, a million things could go wrong. Hurricane, electrical blackout, hard drive crash, combustible bananas, or even an agitated sea bass attack. Just turn it in early! You'll feel better.

5.) Relax. We hope to see you in late January/early February.

As usual, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the program. I'll answer to the best of my abilities and/or refer you to someone who knows more!

Good luck!