Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How Could I Forget

In the excitement of becoming an uncle, I have overlooked a big event the other weekend. The LGO program is a well oiled machine in terms of brining in the new class. They have been doing this for 20 years now and it just works... trust me.

Part of the process of bringing in the new class is the admissions interview. While this is pretty typical of most schools, I'd like to think we step it up a notch. The prospective students travel from afar for a 45 minute interview with admission. A current students, we take this opportunity to give them a little more. There is a committee that plans an entire day for the prospective students to answer questions, give them a taste of class, show them around, and overall add value to their trip.

I recall that my admissions interview was my first trip to campus. MIT was just a figment of my imagination prior to that trip. Going through the day, the current students personified the program, answered all of my questions, and solidified my desire to be a part of this great academic program.

This year, it was my responsibility to help the next class, like the previous class helped me. Todd organized most of it, but called on me to organize a social event. After several discussions, class surveys, and trial and error thought exercises, we came up with a bowling party. It turns out, everyone liked the idea. Over 100 LGO current students, significant others, children, and prospective students show up for several hours of bowling and pizza.

It was the perfect event to get everyone together in a family friendly environment to enjoy each other's company. And just to level the competitive playing field, we went candlepin bowling, which is surprising more common than "big ball" bowling here in the Boston area, and much more difficult due to the small size of the ball. Rumor has it, many kids don't know what "big ball" bowling is until they are in the teens!