Saturday, June 5, 2010

Moving Phase 1: Part A - Boston to Pittsburgh

The first of many phases of my cross country relocation started in Boston and ended in Pittsburgh where I was able to spend the evening before continuing to Indianapolis.

Here I am in Boston with my rental van that will take me to Indy where I pick up my Explorer from my parents house. On with the road trip!

Why Pittsburgh? I have college buddies and cousins who live there who I wanted to visit AND could give me a free place to stay! Due to the expense of my one way car, the visit was limited yet action packed! I pulled up to my buddies' (Mike and Kyle) place on Squirrel Hill, and as it turns out they are basically renting a 6 bedroom mansion for much cheaper than my 3 bedroom cambridge apartment.


After a quick driving tour of Pittsburgh we headed to the famous Hofbrauhaus to be joined by my cousins Andrea and Patrick (you may recognize Andrea from my post of her visit to Boston). Needless to say, my first visit to the Hofbrauhaus proved to be a great time! I must say, it is almost better than the Rathskellar in Indianapolis (almost).

The next morning we were treated to pancakes made by Andrea at their apartment. After a delicious breakfast, we waited out the rain, went up to their roof, and then headed into Pittsburgh for the day.

Here are the cousins on the roof!
Due to the weather, we decided that the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning, a 42 story academic building with some of the most ornate and beautiful hallways classrooms I have ever seen.
Here I am on what I like to call, a throne of learning.
In the afternoon, the weather cleared up and we decided to head to the strip where I finally found my long lost book outlet. I had been wondering where it had gone!
Pittsburgh was a very surprising city. I was incredibly impressed with everything it had to offer and would HIGHLY encourage anyone to go there for a visit. It's not really on the way to anything, so take the few extra hours on the road and swing by!