Monday, June 7, 2010

Moving Phase 3: Part A - Indianapolis to Denver

My sister, Laura, and I departed Indianapolis at 4am on Friday morning, hoping to be in Denver by 8pm. We wanted to get through the flat part of the country as fast as possible, thus a bee-line effort was needed. After a short night sleep, we headed down the road without a hitch, continuing down I-70 for the next 16+ hours.

I was very serious about getting to Denver as fast as possible. We would be staying the night at our older brother's wive's parents house (did you follow that?), which was a HUGE treat to look forward to, thus the motivation to keep on trucking. My education and experience in standard work paid off nicely on the trip, 25 miles before each stop, Laura and I discussed our planned actions (refuel, windshield wash, bathroom, empty trash, etc) and load balanced our tasks. This stop planning in addition to packing plenty of PB&J for the trip allowed us to stop for a mere 36 minutes (including checking the roof rack several times) on the 16.5 hour total time drive to Denver. We arrived at roughly 6:30pm local time/8:30pm Indy time, 1.5 hours sooner than Google Maps predicted. I think I finally found something that Google is not good at... predicting long distance travel times. We maintained the speed limit the entire way, and in some states went slower than the speed limit (ie. the 75mph speed limit in Colorado).

While driving, I found this sight of the co-pilot's seat to be a very common occurrence.
Here was a motivating sight... next turn 411 miles.
We saw a ton of windmills along the way... and some very flat and barren land. I couldn't believe how far I could look without seeing a tree! It made Indiana look hilly and full of trees!
We finally arrived in at the Welch's in Denver and were greeted with smiles and hugs followed by a delicious taco dinner. Some of their other kids also dropped by for dinner and a visit making for a great evening! I hadn't spent time with the Welch's in Denver since my brother's wedding!