Monday, November 22, 2010

Chevy Volt

I had the incredible opportunity to drive a Chevy Volt, the new electric car from GM, while visiting the Detroit facilities for interviews. My day started early, as I was personally picked up from the airport by Mike and as we approached an unfamiliar car, I rubbed my eyes thinking that red eye flight I just took was causing me to see things. After an enthusiastic inquiry, I was proudly told that the car was a Volt!

I jumped in the car and was immediately surrounded by the futuristic interior. Mike then hit the ignition button, there was no key but instead a fob that he kept in his pocket, when the car senses the fob, it will unlock/start at the press of button. Even though no engine started, the car roared to life as lights flashed and video screens came on, punctuated with a simulated start up sound that resembled an engine but had a computerized enhancement that clearly left an impression that "this is the future".

The car cruised along the highways to the Volt manufacturing facility where we parked it under a solar canopy and plugged it into the charger. As a passenger, the car was comfortable, smooth and silent!!! A very enjoyable ride! There was plenty of room for four people!

After a tour of the Volt manufacturing facility, I was figuratively thrown the keys (remember, there's no key!). I couldn't believe it! I was about to drive a Volt!

The car was very smooth to operate and drove... well... just like a car. I would have had no idea that the car was electric based on it's performances. There were subtle details that discerned the Volt from a typical automatic transmission on an internal combustion engine (ie, no shifting, no torque converter, etc). These details were no more significant than the difference between a manual and automatic. On top of it all, the car had been averaging 80+ miles per gallon of gas put into the car!!!

Overall, awesome car! I commend GM for pushing the consumer automobile past the typical hybrid into the next generation of propulsion. This is a much needed investment and I'm happy to see it coming from Detroit. Combine the Volt with the recently launched OnStar Mobile App and you have a serious technology combination that brings the future to your finger tips today.

If you are looking to buy a new car, I would highly advise you check out the Volt!