Friday, November 26, 2010

The Snow Continued

The snow continued to fall that afternoon and into the evening. As you can see in the pictures below the snow was thick enough to completely cover the downtown skyline and was collecting on the roads, which on hills like the ones around Seattle, can only spell trouble.

I walked to the grocery 2 blocks away to pick up an obscure item for pad thai. On my journey, I helped unstick two cars. On my way back, I detoured to one of the main roads (Queen Anne Avenue) that goes up a steep hill, just to see the icy situation. This youtube video of cars sliding is an excellent example of what I witnessed (although not the same location). Once again, I helped push a car out of the road into a parking lot.

The snow continued to fall. My roommate Kevin got home and asked me if I heard the screaming coming from sledders on Queen Anne Ave. I said "Let's Go!!!" and out we went at 10pm to join in on the fun. The street had been shut down to cars and taken over by winter weather enthusiasts!

Here's Queen Anne Ave going up the hill.... it's a VERY LONG HILL!
People sledding!
Kevin and I about to sled on our sophisticated sledding machines - trash bags filled with pillows. These sledding machines ended up being the fastest on the hill!
Those with old "beater" snow boards and skis were out cruising down the hill. These hills were long enough to make it almost worth while! I didn't dare take my board out due to the portions of exposed pavement, rocks, and sticks!

While the snow was fun, I was a bit concerned about getting to the airport the next day for a flight home for Thanksgiving! Luckily, things cleared up for a beautiful sunny day and public transportation was running smoothly to get me to the airport.