Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fall Classes!

Fall classes have begun! Like any semester, it has started with a TON of reading. The stack of books and course notes for this semester dwarf any other semester I have ever had in school. Probably because my course load dwarfs any other course load I have ever had. Here are the classes I am taking:

Economic Analysis for Business Decisions (Econ)
Financial Accounting (Accounting)
Organizational Processes (OP)
Communication for Managers (Comm)

Financial Theory I
Marketing Managment

Sustainable Energy

Leadership and Ethics
Proseminar

The first 4 are part of the MBA Core, the fundamental classes that all MBA's take in the first semester of the first year. The true MBA's also take Data Models and Decisions, but as and LGO, I took the class over the summer.

The next two course are the "electives" for the MBA Core. MBA's typically only choose one, but as and LGO we have three electives in addition to the core. I wanted to get a solid base in finance, so I started with that course. The visiting marketing professor was HIGHLY recommended. Given that this is his last semester, I then selected Marketing. My third elective is in the form of Sustainable Energy, which will contribute to my master of science in engineering.

Finally, as LGO's we are taking the required proseminar class where various industry speakers will come in to speak to the class. We are also given the option to take the Leadership and Ethics class co-taught by several faculty and industry leaders included Don Davis, 20 year CEO of Stanley Works. Mr. Davis is 88 years old, and after 20 years at MIT (after 41 total years at Stanley Works) he continues to teach the class for the LGO program.

So far, the fall semester seems like it'll be a big one. Time to put my head down and charge through it! I can almost see December from here!