Sunday, January 24, 2010

Stair Race Fundraising

Ok Gang, once again I've entered an athletic event that requires fund raising. This is a vertical race in Boston, instead of running down a road, you run up stairs in a tall building. I have found that stair races are one of the few events at which I can excel. In my experience in Indianapolis with the Bop to the Top, I was able to place 11th out of about 1200 participants with a time of 4 min 37 sec to climb 37 flights of stairs, a mere 5 seconds from 5th place.

I've been training in the Green building on campus since August and I'm ready for the competition in Boston. I find that climbing stairs is an interesting form of exercise because it is very muscle intensive and lung intensive. I find that my running is limited by my lungs and my biking is limited by my muscle strength. Stair climbing is limited by both... when you get to the top your legs are burning AND you can hardly breathe!

The only problem is that I need to raise $85 more to compete. The race takes place on February 6th and all donations go to help fight Lung Cancer... which I find ironic since I always have so much trouble catching my breath at the end of the race.



As always, any donations are greatly appreciated, even just a dollar! If there are any special requests to earn your donation, please don't hesitate to contact me, bgeswein@gmail.com.