Friday, January 29, 2010

InternshipFEST

14 Interviews, 3 days. Sound terrible? It's not! It's a FESTIVAL!

Imagine speed dating for internships. You have 20 minutes to interview and get a feel for a company that you may be interning with for 6 months starting in June. You also have to get a feel for the project that you will be working on and figuring out if and how you can "add value".

Overall, this was a great opportunity to get to know the partner companies much better and the opportunities they have to offer. Here's the list of companies the I interview with:

ABB
Amgen
Boeing
Dell
GM
Intel
Novartis
SanDisk
Spirit Aerosystems

I realize that the list isn't 14 companies long. That's because we don't necessarily interview for individual companies, but instead for jobs/projects. For example, Novartis has several different projects, thus I had several interviews with them, while other companies like Dell have one interview for multiple projects. It just depends.

One of the biggest changes of the InternshipFest was the LGO's as a group. Everyone looked SO GOOD in their suits! I'm used to seeing us in business casual or typical classroom attire, but this week... we looked good!


Next step: Ranking my interests.

We have a matching algorithm, much like medical or pharmacy residency programs. I rank the companies I interview with, they rank us. The algorithm then maximizes everyone's happiness. While it seems simple, I think the hardest part will be determining my order of preference. Then it's just a matter of waiting!

Up Next... InterviewFEST! A glimpse of the next class of LGO's!