Friday, March 19, 2010

International Plant Trek 1

The first few days in China have been great!!! Staying up all night before catching my flight on wednesday morning has proven once again a success as I have no effects of jetlag (yet!!!). Now that I'm here, I feel much more "at home" than many of my classmates. My broken/terrible Chinese phrases are coming back in full force quicker than expected!

Here's a quick summary of our first few days.

We rode the MagLev train from the airport to the Shanghai subways system and hit 430 km/hr (that' 267 mph!!!). It felt like we were literally gliding on air!!!

We went to the Shanghai Urban Planning Center where they have a HUGE 3-d model of the HUGE city of Shanghai (as seen in the picture behind me).


We then headed to some old town Shanghai. This makes "old" in Boston look pretty young.

We finally took a group old time photo. I think the funniest part of this picture is what is on the other side of this camera...
This was our view during the picture. A whole group of Chinese people had gathered to watch us. We find that the Chinese people tend to gather in groups, especially when there are white people to watch!!!

More to come!!!