Monday, March 29, 2010

International Plant Trek 6

Tokyo... one word... trains! Everywhere. Here's the subway map! To me, it looks like a bowl of spaghetti. Not the most intuitive public transportation system, but very thorough. And like most Asian subways, they were always on schedule with real time displays of when to expect the next train. Once again, putting the T to shame! (but I still love the T)


Our last plan tour was at Hitachi/GE. A factory that builds Nuclear Power Plants... yes Nuclear Power Plants. This was by far the coolest experience for me! In many of may classes here at MIT, I have learned all about the theory and calculations behind energy systems, but now I got to see them in real life! I literally touched the control rods for a nuclear reactor core! The machines that built the parts of the Nuclear Plant were HUGE! While the tour may have been a little too thorough (aka, long), it was still a fantastic experience!

That evening, we were free in Tokyo! I headed up to the top of the tallest building in Tokyo (a mere 45 floors compared to Shanghai's 100 floors), but it was a great sight non the less.

In our city traversing over the next few days, we ran into a tradition wedding ceremony...

a local with a shirt that said "Indianapolis!" (he thought I was crazy when I asked for a picture)

And the Imperial Palace (cue the Star Wars Imperial March Background music!)

As I may have mentioned before, this was a great trip! While not a typical relaxing, beach, sun, and sand filled spring break, it was a wonderful time. The trip continued to prove my "life theory" true... It's not where you are, it's who you are with. The people on this trip (LGO 11's, LGO 10's and SJTU students) made it a GREAT time... but the location didn't hurt either.