Friday, July 10, 2009

Ultimate Frisbee

Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and say OUCH!

Tonight I played the fantastic game of Ultimate Frisbee. The event was organized by a classmate and as usual a lot of us showed up! Unfortunately, all of the intramural fields were occupied so we decided to stick it to the man tonight by playing on the stadium field... don't get too excited this is MIT's "stadium", which is roughly the size of a large high school's "stadium". We knew that we risked getting kicked off like at a previous outing, but the opportunity to play was too great!

For those who are not familiar with the game, it is basically football with a frisbee, except you can rush with the frisbee and there is no huddle. You pass the frisbee up the field hoping to land one final catch in the end-zone to score. If the frisbee hits the ground, the other team gets the disc and heads towards their respective end-zone. For those who are more interested, I'll send you to my usual source for non-research information - wikipedia!

So... why ouch? My typical physical activity consists of running and cycling. Two sports with very little, ok, no lateral movement. Ultimate frisbee is more like tennis, football, and basketball where players run in all directions and make quick changes in direction especially when trying to defend a more skilled offense-man (or woman in the case of Christie who's ultimate skills greatly outweigh mine, therefore I blame her for the pain). Needless to say, I'm not used to the twisting, turning, and arm flailing (yes flailing) motions of the game.

Three hours after we finished, I'm already feeling sore. The advil is next to my alarm clock for morning!